Genital Herpes FactsThere are two things you absolutely must know if you have or suspect you have been exposed to the virus and want to do something about it.
Firstly it is not immortal and can indeed be killed.Here is a great deal of argument among the scientific community as to whether a virus is a living thing or not but for our purpose lets just say its alive and when we say it can be killed we mean its replication mechanism is prevented.
When you read or are told that "herpes can not be killed", there is "no cure", "once you have genital herpes you will never be rid of the symptoms" etc etc. naturally enough you can become emotionally depressed. This in fact is more often than not the worst symptom of having the virus.
The herpes virus' trick is to hide inside the host's cells where it remains dormant until some unknown factor or condition triggers an outbreak. At which time the virus leaves the protection of the cell and travels via the nerve fibers to the skin or mucous linings where it replicates like crazy and causes the redness, tingling sensations and then fluid filled blisters. Whilst inside the cell the virus is not vulnerable as the body's immune system apparently does not detect the invader. However once it makes an appearance on the skin it is easily destroyed.
True enough, genital herpes does cramp your style and can destroy the spontaneity but in the overwhelming majority of cases it isn't a life threatening condition. It may not seem possible, but whether you've had the condition for years or only just found out, read on and find how to get back in control. The condition will then be a minor inconvenience and not a miserable focal point of your life.
About The Virus
There are two more widely known types of HSV ( Herpes Simplex Virus ) which are actually part of a group of eight variants.
HSV1 and HSV2 are the strains that usually cause genital and oral outbreaks.
HSV type 1 most commonly infects the lips, causing sores known as fever blisters or cold sores, but it also can infect the genital area.
HSV type 2 is the usual cause of genital herpes infection,
but it also can infect the mouth.
A person who has either type of infection can
pass or transmit the virus to an uninfected
person during sexual or other intimate contact.
Methods of Transmission
Transmission requires direct contact to move from one person to another. Unlike viruses such as influenza which can be transmitted through the air, herpes simplex viruses require physical contact. You don't have to withdraw from everyone or feel like you can't touch someone without infecting them but be aware herpes virus is frequently transmitted during:
- Vaginal sex
- Anal sex
- Oral sex
- Any broken skin or membrane-to-skin contact
The virus can be transmitted with or without the presence of sores or other symptoms. Is often transmitted by people who do not realize the infection can be passed on even when there are no symptoms present. Its often transmitted by people unaware they are infected!!So what can you do........
- Herpes Terminator Blog - Help and information for people with herpes and cold sores
- Health Resources - Resources and links
- Symptoms of Herpes - Recognize the symptoms of herpes outbreaks
- What does herpes look like? - What does herpes look like at various stages of the outbreak cycle
- Telling your partner you have herpes - Help and support for people that have herpes or coldsore
- Dating with Herpes - Dating with Herpes and meeting a partner you can trust.
- Herpes Photos - Herpes photos and descriptions of symptoms
- Tell Your Herpes Story - Forum page where visitors can write about their experiences with having herpes, HSV1 or HSV2
- Coldsore and Herpes Treatment - Compare products that are for herpes treatment
- Tests for Herpes - Tests for Herpes - Is the herpes virus present?
- Natural cure for herpes - A natural cure for herpes to reduce and eliminate herpes outbreaks
- NIAID Factsheet on Herpes - N.I.A.I.D Herpes Factsheet
- Herpes Research Updates - Index of Herpes Research Updates
- Herpes Symptoms - page containing information on herpes symptoms
- Herpes Cure - Herpes cure
- STD Answers - About other STDs.
- STD symptom index - Pictures, information and resources about each STD symptom
- Herpes Outbreak Photos - Herpes outbreak photos at various stages.
- Female Symptoms Herpes - Contains information on female symptoms herpes and cold sore
- Herpes Videos - Herpes video about herpes from Google and Youtube
- Herpes Safe Sex - Advice and resources on herpes safe sex and avoiding STDs
- Yeast Infection Cure - Relief from symptoms of Yeast Infection